EUGENE, Ore. -- There has been another robbery near the University of Oregon campus. This the sixth robbery reported in Eugene since March 2 and the third that's happened on Hilyard Street.
University police said a student reported being grabbed and punched by two men on the corner of Hilyard and 13th Avenue.
The student reported the incident Tuesday but said it happened between midnight and 1 a.m. on Sunday.
The victim told police he began talking to the men inside the Subway restaurant on Hilyard. He then went outside to hail a cab. That's when the two men mugged him.
KEZI spoke with to one UO student who lives nearby. She said the recent crime spree has her taking extra precautions when she walks around.
"My dad just ordered me a Taser, it's scary out here,” Izzy Villeneunve. “I don't want to walk home, and I don't want to feel unsafe in a place I call my home and a place where I get my education and I also work here.”
Police said one of the men was black, six-feet-tall, with a medium build and a chipped front tooth. While the second man was Hispanic, 6-foot-2, with a heavy build and black or brown hair with bleached tips.
UOPD plan on increasing patrols and surveillance in the area.
A spokesperson with the Eugene Police Department said they are investigating whether Sunday’s robbery is linked to the other recent robberies that have happened.
Anyone with information on this or similar incidents should call Eugene Police at 541-682-5111.
- UO student mugged near campus, says two men punched him
- UO students concerned after shooting near campus
- UPDATE: Police investigate bomb threat on UO campus
- UO unveils designs for new multi-million dollar Knight Campus
- Shot fired at apartment complex near UO campus
- UO sororities taking extra precautions walking near campus
- Renovation of historic car dealership moves forward on UO campus
- UO students unveil renewable energy plan
- UO student creates bullet-resistant laptop case
- UO football player arrested