EUGENE, Ore. -- Along with the race for governor, KEZI is following a key race for the Oregon House in our area.
Democrat Marty Wilde and Republican Mark Herbert are looking to fill the seat in a swing district split between conservative parts of rural Lane County and liberal parts of Southeast Eugene.
Whoever wins will replace Democrat Phil Barnhart, who's retiring after 17 years in office.
61-year-old Mark Herbert is the Republican candidate.
He's a management consultant and former chair of the Lane County Planning Commission.
43-year-old Marty Wilde, a Democrat, is the Executive Director of the Lane County Medical Society, and also serves as a Colonel in the Air National Guard.
KEZI asked Herbert and Wilde their thoughts on Measure 106, which would ban the use of taxpayer money to pay for abortions.
"I will be candid. I am anti-abortion but I am also pro-choice," Herbert said. "I believe that there are other vehicles we should be using to prevent unwanted pregnancies, but I feel like women have the right to control their bodies and make decisions about their own reproductive rights."
"I oppose Measure 106," Wilde said. "A right without access isn't really a right, and so it's very important that everyone, regardless of the source of their insurance, be able to access a full range of reproductive health care."
Wilde said he wants to make sure all Oregonians have access to affordable health care.
Herbert said access to a base-level health care is essential, but said there also needs to be more of a focus on improving your lifestyle.
- Your Voice, Your Vote: House District 11 race
- Democrat Marty Wilde wins House District 11 race
- Your Voice, Your Vote: Measure 102 - Affordable Housing
- Your Voice, Your Vote: Measure 20-290 - STAR Voting
- Confusion in the vote for Oregon House District 2 seat
- Parents voice concerns over holiday celebrations to Bethel School District
- Your voice, your vote - Elections are almost here
- Your Voice, Your Vote: Measure 105 - Sanctuary State
- Your Voice, Your Vote: Measure 103 - Grocery Tax Ban
- Your Voice, Your Vote: Measure 106 - Abortion Funding