CRESWELL, Ore. -- The Lane County Sheriff's Office has identified the 92-year-old Creswell woman who they said died suspiciously on Monday, and neighbors believe she was murdered.
Deputies identified the woman as Erma Burnell and said she was found in the 200 block of Creswood Drive.
Neighbor Samuel Olsen said on Monday his wife went to check on the elderly blind woman after Burnell's daughter said she couldn't get a hold of her. Olsen said his wife found broken glass and Burnell dead on the bed with what appeared to be stab wounds.
"She was a good neighbor and a good friend," Olsen said. "No reason to think what happened happened."
Diane Gage said she used to work with Burnell at senior services. She said Burnell loved to take care of her roses, and like many, she's hoping for answers.
"She was so nice and compassionate. Didn't hurt a flea," Gage said. "I just hope they come up with what happened."
The Lane County Sheriff's Office is urging anyone with information to come forward.
- Neighbors suspect murder in 92-year-old Creswell woman's death
- 12-year-old arrested in connection with 92-year-old Creswell woman's death
- 12-year-old suspect in Creswell murder identified
- Woman wearing tutu alerts neighbors to ditch fire in Creswell
- Creswell fire damages offices
- Creswell fire leaves 3 homeless
- Flames tear through Creswell barn
- Blitzing the Preseason: Creswell Bulldogs
- Man hospitalized following Creswell shooting
- Creswell stabbing suspect has white supremacist criminal history