Eugene, Ore. – A career-high 11 strikeouts from Kevin Abel and three RBI's from Kyler McMahan lead Oregon State to a 9-2 win over West Virginia at Goss Stadium on Friday.
The Beavers tagged the Mountaineers for seven runs in the second inning capped off by a two-run double by McMahon. McMahon went 2-4 with three RBI's. He also scored a pair of runs as well.
"Kevin came out, pitched like he normally does and we really showed up in the second inning and thta's all that matters," McMahon said. "We pulled away with a win, that's all we needed."
Abel went 6.0 innings allowing just one run on one hit. That one run came on a solo home run from Ivan Gonzalez in the sixth inning.
"All week we were all excited, you get to play in front of our home crowd, especially with all the people that showed up in Arizona," Abel said. "It's always great playing here with all these people. There are some die-hards here so it's nice getting to show out for them and having a good time."
Oregon State improves to 9-0 and will take on West Virginia in game two of the three-game series at 1:35 P.M. on Saturday at Goss Stadium.
Oregon baseball uses a six-run sixth inning to take down Loyola Marymount, 4-3. A pair of wild pitches scored two runners in the inning.
LMU's Trevin Esquerra hit a two-run home run in the eighth but the Ducks shut the door in the later innings.
Cullen Kafka went 5.0 innings allowing one run in a no decision for Oregon. Robert Ahlstrom earned the win after pitching 2.0 innings of relief while allowing just one run.
"Really important for us to get this experience early because when the Pac-12 comes, you know it's no joke. I think our guys are gonna be ready and it's gonna be fun," pitcher Nico Tellache said.
Oregon improves to 5-2 and will take on LMU in game two of three-game set at 2 P.M. on Saturday at PK Park.
- Baseball Roundup: Beavs top WVU in home opener, Ducks hold off LMU
- Baseball Roundup: Ducks, Beavs drop home games
- Baseball Roundup: Beavs, Ducks sweep doubleheader
- Baseball Roundup: Beavs, Ducks come up short
- Baseball Roundup: Beavs, Ducks both fall
- Baseball Roundup: Beavs, Ducks get swept
- Baseball Roundup: Ducks, Beavs drop road games
- Hoops Roundup: Ducks, Beavs suffer road losses
- Baseball Roundup: Beavs, Ducks both victorious on Saturday
- Baseball Roundup: Ducks earn win, Beavs rained out