Eugene, OR. -- A lot of fight and grit was shown at Jane Sanders Stadium Tuesday night, as Haley Cruse raced around the bases with a three-run, go-ahead inside-the-park home run to give the Ducks a doubleheader sweep over Portland State.
"You know, whenever I hit a ball that looks like it's going to go out, I always sprint it out because it somehow always finds a way to hit the wall,” said Cruse. “I was just booking it. And coach Lombardi and I made eye contact as I was getting to third base. We just sent it and it worked out."
The Oregon softball team (21-22, 4-11) rallied in both games. In game one, Shaye Bowden hit a three-run homer to answer a two-run first inning performance from the Vikings. Then in game two, Portland State jumped to an early 8-2 lead before the Ducks came all the way back to take the lead in the fifth inning.
“I loved their fight. I loved their energy. I love their commitment to this team. I love that even though we were down 8-2, we knew we could come back and win a ball game,” said Oregon head coach Melyssa Lombardi. “We just needed to chip away. We talked about chipping away throughout the whole game.”
The Ducks will host the Oregon State Beavers this weekend for the Civil War Series.
“I know it’s a big rivalry between the two schools. I’m excited to be apart of it. But I know it’s going to be a tough battle,” said Lombardi. “They’ve got pitching, they’ve got hitting and they’ve got defense. We’re going to continue to have to continue to play our best games in order to do what we want to do.”
- Cruse turns on the jets to give the Ducks the sweep over PSU
- Ducks Flush Cougs To Finish Weekend Sweep
- Oregon St. defeats Ducks, sweeps Civil War
- Baseball Roundup: Beavs, Ducks sweep doubleheader
- Web Extra: Mike White after Ducks sweep Arizona (4/8/18)
- WEB EXTRA: George Horton after Ducks sweep Utah (5/13/18)
- Ducks win exhibition game
- Baseball Roundup: Ducks sweep the Lions, Beavers drop series finale against WVU (3/3/19)
- Baseball Roundup: Ducks win double-header in Salt Lake City, Beavers sweep the Huskies
- Web Extra: Miranda Elish on pitching a perfect game against PSU (4/3/18)