Corvallis, OR. -- Oregon State redshirt sophomore defensive back Jaydon Grant was taken out on a stretcher during Thursday's spring practice.
Grant collided into a fence head first while playing defense during a drill on OSU's outdoor practice field.
He was reportedly observed on the ground where the incident occurred for about 30 minutes before having his facemask removed, and placed on a stretcher to transported to a nearby hospital.
"You never want to see something like that happen and it's terrible. You know we're out here just competing and trying to have fun," quarterback Jake Luton said. "We're all friends, and so when something like that happens that sucks and you know my prayers and thoughts are definitely with Jaydon. And you know we'll try and go see him or hit him up as soon as we can, once we know what's going on with him, but you know I'm hoping for the best for him."
There is no indication of the severity of the injury just yet, but it did remind the Beavers about the injury-riddled spring they had last year.
"It's a physical game and you know injuries are going to happen. Our numbers are way better to be able to practice and you know practice longer than we were a year ago," head coach Jonathan Smith said. "At the same time just because we got guys to go out there, we're not going to just try and create injuries going too long. Like I said, I like that they're practicing hard and it's a controlled tempo."
Grant was able to move his hands while lying on the ground, but Smith said the team was taking all precautions in dealing with the injury.
- Defensive back leaves spring practice on stretcher
- OSU football begin spring practices
- Web Extra: Oregon State Defensive Coordinator Tim Tibesar at Spring Practice (4/16/18)
- Depth helping OSU defense in spring ball
- Verdell back to practice after suffering injury
- Web Extra: Justin Herbert talks before first Spring Practice (3/7/18)
- Web Extra: Mario Cristobal speaks before Duck's Spring Practice (3/9/18)
- Web Extra: Mario Cristobal on Focus During spring Practice (4/3/18)
- Web Extra: Jake Luton on first Spring practice (4/4/18)
- Web Extra: Jonathan Smith on first Spring practice (4/4/18)