Corvallis, OR -- In the second year under head coach Jonathan Smith tutelage, Oregon State was able to hold a more traditional spring game.
Players were drafted by a combination of coaches and placed on two teams, the Black team and the Orange team. Jake Luton, Tristan Gebbia, Noah Togiai, and Jermar Jefferson headlined the Orange team. On the other side, Andrzej Hughes-Murray, Kee Whetzel, Omar Hicks-Onu, and Isaiah Hodins headlined the Black team.
While the defense played aggressively with Jeffrey Manning Jr. making a number of hard hits, it was the offense that flourished in the game.
At the end of the day the turnover margin is the most imporant thing, and that determines more times than not who wins the football game," said quarterback, tristan Gebbia. "So, if we can take care of it and you know the defense can't get a few turnovers, takeaways, you're in good shape to win ball games. So I think that's been a big point of emphasis all spring."
Gebbia was (7-14) for 67 yards through the air with one touchdown pass to Champ Flemings. Jake Luton finished the day (6-9) for 94 yards, with the highlight of the day, a deep pass to Jesiah Irish. On the ground, with Jefferson limited, B.J. Baylor continued to make his case for a few carries this fall. He had 10 carries for 50 yards and 2 touchdowns. Artavis Pierce had 5 carries for 30 yards, while Jefferson had one carry for 26 yards.
All in all, Smith was pride with the performances from both sides of the ball. "I just look at that big picture in the fifteen days. We've made some real strides, I think it's created some real competition to a lot of the offense to continue to improve. And we didn't have everybody out there today, especially on defense. Really we had some D-b's playing on both teams out there the whole time."
Oregon State's season kicks-off August 30th in Reser Stadium against the Oklahoma State Cowboys.
- Offense shines in Oregon State's spring game
- Web Extra: Jonathan Smith after Oregon State's Spring Game (4/28/18)
- Oregon football impresses at spring game
- Oregon State seniors shine on senior night (2/24/19)
- Oregon's Offense, Defense getting more comfortable
- Oregon State snaps Oregon’s 17 game winning streak (2/18/19)
- Web Extra: Brian Lindgren on offensive improvements and Oregon State’s quarterback situation (11/6/18)
- OSU to hold draft for spring game
- Oregon State wins Civil War series in game two
- Oregon Ducks win bowl game against Michigan State