OKLAHOMA CITY, OK. – Known for their pitching, the Oregon Ducks softball team used their bats to deliver a win in game one of the Women’s College World Series, beating Arizona State 11-6.
Shannon Rhodes delivered a clutch three-run home run in the sixth inning to put the game away at USA Softball Hall of Fame Stadium.
Rhodes drove in four runs on the day and Haley Cruse hit a solo home run for the Ducks as part of a 14 hit effort.
On the mound, starting pitcher Miranda Elish gave up five runs over five innings as Arizona State jumped out to a quick two nothing lead in the first.
Oregon answered with two of their own in the first and added three in the third, another in the fourth for a 6-2 lead.
The Sun Devils came back again, adding three in the fifth before the big blast by Rhodes.
Megan Kleist pitched the final two innings, securing the win for Oregon who will next play Friday, June 1st. They will face the winner of Oklahoma and Washington.
In Eugene, community members gathered to cheer on and celebrate the team.
A group of people got together for a watch party at the Cooler, one of the only watch parties in town. However, these community members were prepared to bring the energy.
"It doesn't happen all the time. How often do you have just an outstanding group of girls with all of the talent they have. We're number one ranked, people should be out there. They're going to bring us a championship and they should be proud of it," said Bob Taylor, a Duck fan at the Cooler.
Residents said they feel good about the Duck's chances to win it all this year, and many of them said they've never been more proud of this team and this school than they are now.
- Oregon Softball wins game one at College World Series
- Oregon State baseball wins the College World Series
- Oregon softball drops first series game vs. Arizona State
- Oregon State heads to the College World Series Finals
- Oregon State Stays Alive in College World Series
- Beavers come back for win in College World Series
- Oregon softball opens series vs. Cal with 1-0 win
- Oregon softball falls, but still wins series vs. Cal
- Hot bats lead Oregon past Arizona State in game one of the Women's College World Series
- Oregon State wins Civil War series in game two