The game marked the Beavers’ opener at the Corvallis Regional, and send OSU (45-10-1 overall) into the winner’s bracket. Oregon State is set to take on LSU Saturday at 7:04 p.m. PT.
Madrigal tallied three hits, driving in two runs in both the third and sixth innings. He paced an Oregon State offense that also saw Kyle Nobach and Zak Taylor homer – the former with a two-run blast in the fourth and the latter with a solo shot in the eighth.
The offense backed up a spectacular outing from Bryce Fehmel, who scattered six hits and three runs – two earned – in 7 2/3 innings. He struck out nine, walked one and improved to 10-1 this season.
Madrigal’s three hits paced the Beavers, while Jack Anderson tallied two.
Northwestern State (37-23) starter Ridge Heisler allowed six hits and eight runs in 5 2/3 innings. He dropped to 7-3 on the year.
Oregon State’s win sets the Beavers up against LSU on Saturday, with a 7:04 p.m. PT first pitch at Goss Stadium. Television information has yet to be announced – make sure and follow us on Twitter for updates. The game, however, is assured of airing on Watch ESPN.
Oregon State saw a Goss Stadium single-game record 3,908 fans at Friday’s game. The Beavers have now had 46 consecutive crowds of 3,000 or more and are averaging 3,537 per game in 2018.
Bryce Fehmel’s win Friday marked his 10th of the year. The victory also pushed him to 26 for his career, which equals Jonah Nickerson’s 26 from 2004-06. That’s the 10th-most for a career at Oregon State.
Zak Taylor hit a moon shot for a home run in the eighth. It was his first home run since Feb. 17 versus Gonzaga in the second game of the season.
Kyle Nobach’s blast marked his fifth of the season, with three coming since May 5. His fourth of the year was last weekend in the series victory over UCLA. Four of his five home runs this season have driven in two, and the fifth drove in three.
The Beavers’ win Friday marked Oregon State’s 12th straight to open an NCAA Regional.
Courtesy: OSU Athletics
- Oregon State Baseball Cruises Past Northwestern (6/1/18)
- Web Extra: Oregon State on beating Northwestern State in Regionals (6/1/18)
- Ducks Fall to Washington 6-2 (6/1/18)
- Oregon State cruises past Utah in conference opener
- Oregon Cruises in First Round
- Oregon Cruises in Pac-12 Quarterfinal
- Baseball Roundup: Oregon State and Oregon baseball both earn victories
- Oregon State women's basketball cruise to first exhibition win
- Oregon State baseball is heading back to Omaha
- Oregon State baseball wins the College World Series