CORVALLIS, Ore. – Despite the departure of a number of stars along the Oregon State Baseball roster, the Beavers have not missed a single beat getting off to an 8-0 start on their season.
Following former head coach Pat Casey's decision to step down, former associate head coach Pat Bailey was named interim head coach. The players tell KEZI 9 Sports team that Bailey was responsible of the practice schedule last year, so this season doesn't feel like much of a change from the previous season.
On the field, multiple players are stepping into new roles who had to wait their opportunity behind guys like Trevor Larnach and Nick Madrigal.
Outfielder, Alex McGarry said, "We lost so many guys and, a lot of guys are kind of itching to make a name for themselves, so kind of the underdog mentality and that's something we use for sure."
So far, the back-ups from a season ago are playing up to the expectations left from the national championship team, and despite the changes to the lineup for the coaches it's just another season.
"When you put your foot in the water in a river and you take your foot back out and put it back in the water, it's different water right. It's a different river and that's the way every season is. I mean every season you're going to have a new team, new players. And I don't know if it's an underdog thing as much as it is our guys, we're just a different team this year. The culture is still the same, but the team is different, it's going to be different every year.
This weekend the Beavers will host their home opener against the West Virginia Mountaineers. Kevin Abel is expected to be on the mound Monday, with Bryce Fehmel expected for Saturday, and Sunday still to be determined.
- Oregon State Baseball not missing a beat in title defense
- Oregon State defensive back set to transfer
- Oregon State Baseball Cruises Past Northwestern (6/1/18)
- PHOTO GALLERY: Oregon beats Arizona State 31-29
- PHOTO GALLERY: Oregon beats Long Beach State
- PHOTO GALLERY: Oregon beats Mississippi State
- Web Extra: Tim Tibesar on improving Oregon State's defense (4/11/18)
- Oregon beats Oregon State in Civil War 77-68
- Oregon's Offense, Defense getting more comfortable
- Oregon State baseball wins the College World Series