Corvallis, OR. -- Mitch Canham finished his collegiate baseball career as an All-American catcher and two-time national champion. He transitioned to the professional level as a player and a manager, but always wanted his career to someday circle back to Oregon State. That dream came true today, as Canham was introduced for the first time as the Beavers’ new head coach.
Canham was the captain for the Oregon State’s 2006 and 2007 College World Series champions and was a part of the 2005 Beaver club that started the most significant 15-year stretch in program history that has included five Pac-12 Conference titles and 13 postseason appearances.
Canham was a first round selection by the San Diego Padres in the 2007 MLB Draft, where he spent four seasons with the Padres’ organization, reaching as high as Triple-A Portland. Following his playing days, he had a successful career as a manager in the Mariners’ organization.
Canham was thankful for his time with the Mariners, but knew if an opportunity surfaced to return to Corvallis, he would take it.
“I emphasized to [the Mariners organization] that I am all in on this job. I was born and raised in the Northwest. This is home. I'm never going to leave it. Unless I get one call,” said Canham. “And there's only one other job in the world that means more to me and that's this one. This is the only job I've ever really dreamt of."
This year the Beavers had an early exit form the Corvallis Regional. But OSU will try and bounce back in 2020 with new leadership and a new team.
- Oregon State baseball introduces new head coach Mitch Canham
- OSU hires Canham as baseball coach
- Ducks introduce Wasikowski as new baseball coach
- Web Extra: Melyssa Lombardi introduced as Oregon Softball head coach (7/16/18)
- Oregon State baseball is heading back to Omaha
- Baseball Roundup: Oregon State and Oregon baseball both earn victories
- Web Extra: Oregon Baseball Head Coach George Horton on WSU (4/4/18)
- OSU head baseball coach Pat Casey retiring after 24 years
- Oregon announces Mark Wasikowski as new baseball coach
- Oregon State Baseball Cruises Past Northwestern (6/1/18)