Corvallis, OR. -- It was a long night at Goss Stadium for the Oregon and Oregon State baseball programs Tuesday. After nearly four and a half hours of play, the Beavers came out on top in this year’s first Civil War rivalry game, defeating the Ducks, 7-6.
The win marks OSU’s tenth consecutive victory over the Oregon Ducks.
For the Beavers, the bats were hot early. Oregon State started the day with a clutch RBI single from Beau Philip that scored runners Adley Rutschman and Alex McGarry. Despite putting seven runs on the board, Oregon State did not play an error-free game.
"The win is the most important thing, said outfielder Christian Chamberlain. “You're not going to have your best stuff every, single time. You got to compete and I don't think we did a good job of that early on in the game. It got a little bit better but wasn't pretty but we still got the win."
The Ducks fought until the very end and displayed no signs of giving up. Oregon had the tying and go-ahead runs in the ninth inning, but couldn’t complete a late comeback victory.
Oregon had the tying and go-ahead runs on base in the ninth inning, but couldn't complete a late-innings comeback for the third straight game in a 7-6 loss to No. 6 Oregon State at Goss Stadium Tuesday night.
“We set the table but we just need to eat more frequently,” said Oregon head coach George Horton. “The two-out hits are always going to determine a win or loss. A lot of times it's getting that clutch hit. We didn't get it when it really mattered."
Moving forward, Oregon will host Washington in a three game series this weekend and Oregon State will travel to Los Angeles to take on UCLA.
- Oregon State takes game one of the Civil War, 7-6 (3/12/19)
- Oregon State wins Civil War series in game two
- New year, different defense? (3/12/19)
- Oregon beats Oregon State in Civil War 77-68
- Oregon St. defeats Ducks, sweeps Civil War
- Oregon State baseball lock up Civil War series win
- Oregon State has more to prove in the Pac-12 Tournament (3/12/19)
- Oregon men's basketball gearing up for the 352nd Civil War Game
- Beavers run rule Ducks, take first game of Civil War series
- Web Extra: Seth Berger on 2nd Civil War game (1/23/18)