San Jose, Ca. -- Oregon men's basketball started their pursuit of a deep run in March against the Wisconsin Badgers, matching up with a team that played the same brand of defense that has come to define their late season run, which inlcuded a Pac-12 Tournament Title. Their 72-54 win over the Badgers saw them advance in San Jose.
The Ducks headed back into the locker room notched at 25 even with Wisconsin. Junior guard, Payton Pritchard, led the team in scoring with 12 points, followed by Louis King with seven at the break.
Their offense sparked in the second, going on an 11-1 run while Pritchard and White hit two deep threes to put some distance between the Ducks and Badgers. Forward Kenny Wooten, who battled a shoulder injury towards the end of the first half, got the fans on their feet, blocking a Wisconsin jump hook on one end of the floor and then finishing off an alley oop on the other. The Ducks took a 9 point lead as the game entered the final 10 minutes.
Wooten continued his stellar play, with a block into the stands with around four and a half minutes left, then another tip rebound that led to a Payton Pritchard basket on the breakaway. Ducks took a 12 point lead with 4:15 left in the game.
The Ducks extended their lead to 14 with 2:44 left, following a jumper from Paul White, who was 5-7 from the field, and then jumped out to 19, while holding Wisconsin to 19 percent from three point range.
Oregon will take on UC Irvine in the second round.
- Oregon bests Wisconsin, advances in NCAA Tournament
- Oregon to face Wisconsin in the NCAA Tournament
- Oregon Advances to Pac-12 Tournament Championship
- Ducks take Pac-12 crown, advance to NCAA Tournament
- Web Extra: Oregon women's Basketball on NCAA Tournament
- Web Extra: Oregon volleyball recaps NCAA tournament first round win
- Oregon State breezes past Western Kentucky in first round of NCAA tournament
- Web Extra: Jonas Piibor on Oregon's historic run to third consecutive trip to NCAA tournament (5/2/18)
- Web Extra: Trevor Larnach on NCAA Tournament Selection (5/28/18)
- Web Extra: Pat Casey on NCAA Tournament Selection (5/28/18)