Corvallis, OR -- Oregon State softball returned to the diamond in a dramatic way after having a bye week following their sweep of the Oregon Ducks. The Beavers took game one of their final regular season series agaisnt Utah in walk-off fashion.
"My coach just said make it simple, just barrel something up and I mentally prepared myself beforehand," said Jessica Garcia. "I knew she was throwing a lot of change ups, so I made sure that I stayed back in my legs and crushed it when she threw it."
OSU got on the board first in the 3rd inning with an RBI single by Pac-12 All Freshman team selection, Frankie Hammoude. Despite some struggles, the Beavers played a great defensive game, only giving up a solo homerun in the 6th that tied the game up at one a piece. That's when the senior, Garcia hit a walk-off single with the bases loaded.
Garcia said, "I don't think I've ever done that in my career, so I think that was something really special for it to happen here and on senior day. It was something that really was special."
The game one win was the Beavs first home win all season (1-7). The win also comes at a crucial time with OSU fighting to make the postseason.
"I think it relieves a lot of pressure off of all of us because you know postseason is on the line for us and we really want to make sure that we get in. And we know that we can beat them, so I think that was a good safe win to have under our belt for this," said Garcia.
Head coach, Laura Berg was not shy to admit that her team didn't up to their expectations, saying the team that played in Eugene is the perfect representation of what this team is truly capable of playing like.
"They hung in there. Mariah fought through some issues, you know maybe taking the two weeks off was probably catching up to them. They fought, they came up clutch. A win is a win, and it was an ugly win, but a win is a win," Berg said.
All six seniors on the team threw out the ceremonial first-pitch of the game. An official Senior Day celebration is expect to be given following game three on Saturday.
First pitch for game two is set for 3:00 p.m. Friday afternoon.
- Senior, Jessica Garcia kicks off Senior weekend with a walk-off
- Oregon State seniors shine on senior night (2/24/19)
- Ionescu returning for senior season
- Web Extra: Gwen Svekis on senior weekend (5/2/18)
- Web Extra: Jessica Garcia on playing in the Civil War series (3/28/18)
- Web Extra: Jessica Garcia on the importance of the Utah series (5/8/18)
- Oregon State Gets the Win on Senior Day
- Web Extra: Timmy Hernandez on senior year goals (4/18/18)
- Web Extra: Alysha Everett on Senior Day game (5/6/18)
- Troy Dye returning for senior season at University of Oregon